- Generic chocolate graham crackers
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate, good quality, e.g. Ghiradelli
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, good quality, e.g. Ghiradelli
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate, grated or shaved
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Start with the filling: Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Whisk gently until combined.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Add the milk mixture to the saucepan in a slow and steady stream, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken, 6-8 minutes.
- Immediately turn the heat down to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, for one minute more until thick.
- Off the heat, immediately whisk in the chopped chocolate, butter and vanilla extract. Transfer the filling to a bowl. Press a piece of saran wrap directly over surface of the filling to prevent a film from forming; refrigerate until cool, 1-2 hours.
- For the crust: Combine the chocolate wafers, sugar and butter in bowl of food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse until the cookies are finely crushed, alternatively - you can use a mortar and pestle to crush the wafers then mix with a hand blender
- Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie pan (spread it with your hands first, then use the back of a spoon or bottom of a measuring cup to press and even out). Bake for 10 minutes until crisp. Set on a rack to cool completely.
- Once the filling and crust are cooled, spoon the filling into the crust and spread evenly. Cover with saran wrap, pressing directly against surface of filling, and chill for at least 6 hours or up to one day.
- Up to 3 hours before serving, make the topping: Place the heavy cream in chilled mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whip on medium-low speed until the whisk or beaters begin to leave tracks in the cream. Add sugar and whip until the cream holds medium, silky peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream over the filling, leaving some of the chocolate filling showing around the edges. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate and refrigerate until ready to serve.